Session Title: (514) Go Mobile! Bringing Recreation to Your Community
Session Type: Education Session Talk
Topic(s): Customer Service, Programming
Day/Time: Thursday - Block 7
10/12/2023 10:30 AM (Central Time (US & Canada)) - 10/12/2023 11:30 AM (Central Time (US & Canada))
Room: Room C156
Audience Experience Level: Any level
Audience Familiarity with DEI: Beginner
Connecting with our communities and creating opportunities for all is a fundamental part of the park and recreation profession. Eliminating barriers to participation, such as transportation, is one of the many ways a recreation department can serve its community. The best way to remove a transportation barrier is to bring the programs to the community. Mobile recreation programs are becoming increasingly popular as they bring play to children. In this session you will hear from the cities of Federal Way and Auburn, Washington, about their newly created mobile recreation programs. Both programs debuted in 2022. Hear how they were created, marketed and implemented. Learn from their successes and mistakes so you can create a mobile recreation program of your own.
1. Attendees will gain knowledge on how to successfully implement a mobile recreation program in their own community using the successes and failures of the examples given as a guide.
2. Attendees will understand how to identify the best locations and activities for a successful program.
3. Attendees will learn how to scale this program model to fit any size agency, community and budget.
Go Mobile! Bringing Recreation to Your Community
Details on this session are provided to the left. Please click the link below to return to the full list of sessions.
One-hour education sessions (0.1 CEU) will be delivered as either Talks, Sandboxes, or Clinics.
Clinics and Sandboxes will be smaller sessions and on a first-come, first-serve basis, so make sure to arrive early!
- Talks will be delivered as lectures or panel sessions.
- Clinics will focus on applying concepts to real-life examples through workshop activities.
- Sandboxes are a great networking opportunity that invite participants to talk shop, compare notes and swap advice around hot topics in the field.
Twenty of the one-hour education sessions will be available on-demand through the conference app while also delivered in person.